Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Inkjet Image Transfer with Mod Podge - #100thingschallenge #1

So, once upon a time I found some wooden wall art on clearance.  I can't remember the price but they were either $0.75 or $0.50.  I thought they would make an awesome project, but they had one fault.

They all had gardening themed sayings on them.  Not sure if the words would sand off or not, I only brought one home with me.


As it turns out, the black words did sand off quite nicely when I went at it with my sanding block.  Actually, it had more paint on it than I thought it did, since some color came off too.  But it didn't look bad, and now I knew what I wanted to do with it.


I have a photo of my newly adopted dog, Oscar, and it has a distressed look to it, so I thougt I'd finally do something I've been wanted to do.  I wanted to try an image transfer on this block of wood.



I only have an inkjet printer though, so I was worried that it might not turn out right, since all image transfers call for laser printed images.

I had some Mod Podge Photo Transfer on hand,
though there are other mediums that can be used for image transfers.

I printed out my image, smothered my wooden base with the transfer medium, then lay my image face down on top of it.  Using a gift card I scraped the paper down flast, rubbing any air bubbles out of it.

The came the hardest part of the whole process.  I set it aside to dry.  They say it has to dry for 24 hours!  So, for a whole day I don't know if the image is going to turn out or not!

The next morning after I let the transfer sit under a damp rag for several minutes, I started rubbing off the paper.  I IMMEDIATELY knew I wasn't going to have a perfect transfer.

Most of the color wiped right off of my picture.

Now, around the edges there are still thick globs of dry transfer medium that are still solid white.  I'm wondering if using a different method of transfer would come up with a cleaner image? 

If they have any more of the wooden wall art, I may give it another try with a different medium.

Meanwhile I've finished #1 of my #100thingschallenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment